Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What is it to be human?

One set of narrative threads that haas struck my fancy today comes from "True Blood." Although I think I represent a cross-section of the American public, I can't claim to know for certain why the series has captured America's attention. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of the threads that appeal to me may appeal to others.

As I type this, I realize that I've already found one of the connections between District 9 and True Blood: The theme of being human. Just as 2 non-humans showed the most humanity in District 9, so did the inhuman Sookie, Bill and Sam assume the roles of heros. In fact, they went on to save humanity which I'm afraid we might not see Wikus and Christopher doing in "District 10."

Those characters in both True Blood and District 9 who are hybrids of one sort or another are clearly troubled. In the case of True Blood, it looks as if next season will focus on their inner turmoil At the end of True Blood Sookie hesitated committing to Bill because of an identity crisis triggered by Maryanne's comments. Sam went in search of his real parent. As for District 9, I have no idea how Wikus will end up feeling although we know that he still remains connected to the human world.

During the course of the next few weeks, I'm going to rest content with pulling narrative threads from my favorite TV shows, movies, books and iTunes lectures (a revived interest). I don't know what I'll do with what I gather, but I trust that I'll be inspired to create something interesting.

No comments: