Sunday, September 27, 2009

Flash Forward

Like Glee, Flash Forward has received plenty of hype. Their respective networks, Fox and ABC, have invested plenty of money in publicity campaigns and in the show themselves. I was happy that Glee had lived up to my expectations and I'm even happier to say that Flash Forward has as well. It's true that I am a huge Lost fan and the series is targeted for me. But I was prepared for a Lost knock off. Moreover, having invested in relationships with TV shows (most notably, Journeyman and Swingtown) and having been burned by network TV with little faith in their own shows, I was wary about being drawn into Flash Forward in spite of its high production values, a cast full of actors who I enjoy and its nifty premise.

Fortunately (or if it follow the same route as Journeyman, unfortunately), just as I was hooked with Lost from the very first moment so was I drawn into Flash Forward. It's probably no surprise since both begin in the disorientation following a major disaster and then begins feeding the viewer information so that they can fill in the blanks. The engagement required really enriches the viewing experience.

Another reason why I find Flash Forward so engaging is that its premise, for a little over 2 minutes almost the entire human race had a vision of their future, lends itself to so many interesting questions. In addition to practical ones like, What kind of disasters would befall us? There are the classic ones like: Is our future fated or do we have free will? Like all really good speculative fiction, we are asked to consider the way we live our own lives and the manner in which me make choices (if those choices do in fact exist). I must admit that I'll be in TV nirvana if Flash Forward achieves it potential and I can look forward to a Flash Forward, Lost double feature.

Just one reference to this week's episode of Glee: You can't tell me that football teams across the country won't be posting their versions of Singles Laides?

And one reference to Mad Men: The unfortunate incident with the riding lawn mower and the golden boy of advertising was the

No comments: