Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Faces of Glee

There's no denying Glee's wit. The dialogue is playful and smart, offering adult pleasure without disturbing the kids. But I realized last night how much I enjoy the reaction shots. The characters are so delightfully quirky that they all they need to do is raise an eyebrow to crack me up.

Another reason I appreciate the faces is that the members of the Glee club are not played by attractive actors with horn-rimmed glasses, messy hair, bad clothes and no makeup. Just as the vertically challenged choreographer pointed out, they have more than their share of flaws. But there's no doubt that they are the stars.

After just a few shows, my perspective about what makes a star has shifted so much that I'm actually shocked when the hot cheerio or football player shows that they have talent. Yet I wasn't surprised at all to see that the coach, the thumbless shop teacher or the janitor could so smoothly transition into a boy bad.

I can't wait to see where Glee is going to go. I only hope it involves a musical number with Jane Lynch. She's truly divine.

No comments: