Tuesday, September 22, 2009

House, Homicide and a little Bourne

As I type this, I'm also flipping through the channels wondering how people could prefer Dancing with the Stars over So You Think You Can Dance? A lot of bad dancers, bad cover tunes, and terrible costumes vs. stellar dancing, imaginative choreography and cool music? But I come not to bury Dancing with the Stars (as much as I wish I could), I come to praise House.

When my House-hating colleague mocks the series formulaic nature, I really can't argue. It's true that House usually acts like jerk while trying to solve a medical mystery while offending as many colleagues as possible. Typically though the formula works just fine for me. Tonight's show, although predictable, went in a different direction and I really enjoyed it.

At the end of last season, House has bottomed out and ends up committing himself. At the beginning of this season, we're shown a montage of House going through detox. Once he's sweated all the narcotics out, he wants to leave but the chief doctor won't let him. That's because the chief doctor is Andre Braugher who has the acting chops to battle it out with Hugh Laurie and a battle of wills is inevitable. To sweeten the mix, the offbeat, sexy, real Franka Potente plays Hugh Laurie's love interest.

In addition to seeing two of my favorite actors again, what I enjoyed about this week's episode was that it offered a commentary on the myth of the romantic, tormented genius who needs his pain in order to stay creative that ended up being a commentary on the series itself. I found myself asking, "Can the House formula work if House is actually happy?" I look forward to finding out this season.

No comments: