Monday, September 21, 2009

Laughing in the Dark

I'm beginning to think I no longer represent a cross-section of the TV watching public. It's not because I don't enjoy reality TV. Right now, I have Project Runway, Survivor and Top Chef scheduled to record. It's not because I wouldn't daytime TV if I didn't work. I've plopped myself in front of the TV to watch Oprah and The Bold and the Beautiful on more than one occasion. I'm even willing to watch an episode of The City on my TV. Yep, I can waste my time with the best of them.

My problem is with sitcom comedies. Even shows as great as The Office and 30 Rock do make it on my "Scheduled to Record." If they do, I don't watch them. I'm trying to figure out why they don't draw me in because I fully appreciate a good laugh. But I realized that I generally prefer to laugh when the jokes are framed in a twisty and dark narrative (or as is the case with Glee rocking musical numbers). Rescue Me will bring tears to my eyes from laughter, but 30 Rock, most of the time, will just elicit an amused and appreciative smile (except for that scene with Alec Baldwin playing all the members of Tracy's family during a therapy session).

Another reason I don't follow sitcom comedies is because generally the narrative thread doesn't compel me as do those twisty dark shows or, I hate to even write the word, dramedies do. Ally McBeal sucked me in not because Fish was hilarious but ultimately I wanted to know where Ally's story was going to take her.

I guess I should be thankful that there is something on the TV spectrum that doesn't appeal to me. Otherwise, I'd have an even fuller TV plate than I can handle.

No comments: