Thursday, July 7, 2011

Treme

I'm watching the season finale of Treme and savoring every minute of it. Ladonna has tapped into her rage and pulled herself out of her personal hell. Janette has been given the chance to open another restaurant in New Orleans. Wendell has found a way to fuse old-time New Orleans music with modern jazz and rebuild his father's pride and home. Even the seemingly not-so-happy endings of Antoine's band and Davis' role in his band are so beautifully crafted they give me pleasure. How could I not beam when I saw Antoine lead his high school bound in performance on a city corner during Jazz Fest?

There's so much to love about the show. . . the acting, the devotion to the music,food and people of New Orleans. But I think what I enjoy almost as much as the music is the slow burn of the show's pacing. It's as if the characters and the plot meander but always with purpose. When random acts of violence occur, they are as shocking as they ought to be. I can't wait to find out if the show captures the mood of New Orleans as effectively as it seems to.

No comments: