Friday, October 2, 2009

Play on my mind

Since I've begun reading Play, I've been interpreting events through a playful lens. At work, I see conflict between colleagues arising from different notions of playfulness. I see management succeeding or failing in terms of how effectively they encourage playfulness among team members. At home, I see how all work and no play can make Jack a miserable spouse (and a homicidal maniac perhaps). On television, I watch Mad Men and think that perhaps all Don Draper needs is to learn to laugh at himself and the world around him. It's no surprise that the Age of Anxiety is followed by a time of rebellion that manifests itself in the eruption of play. When being adult means living the Drapers' lives , dancing around a maypole looks very appealing even if that feeling of innocence requires pharmaceutical assistance.

I've also been thinking about Luc's immersion in video games. Clearly, his play profile is that of a storyteller. He completely loses all sense of time when he's creating special wings that allow him to fly in an online world. It definitely reminds me of the hours and hours I spent reading The Lord of the Rings. But I worry that being shown the world will restrict his imagination. Then again, I thought the criticism of Legos movie-themed sets for the same reason was ridiculous.

No comments: