Friday, October 16, 2009

Boy in the Balloon

Like so many other corporate slaves, I was pulled out of my cube into the break room yesterday to see a giant cupcake with silver frosting floating through the air on TV. When I heard what had happened, three thoughts entered my mind: 1) I'd be terrified if I were the parents. How could they let this happen? 2) What a great example for a creative thinking activity this would be! 3) I hope someone solves the problem and the balloon lands with the boy safe and sound so that tomorrow morning he can describe his adventures on the Today show. Imagine a 6-year old with such a childhood memory?

Like the balloon itself, my romantic ideas were burst this morning when I saw the headlines claiming that the whole affair might be a hoax enacted by a publicity-seeking family who regularly put their children at risk. Instead of joyfully describing his adventures with wild things of the air, the balloon boy vomited during an interview with Meredith Vieira.

Even though the children's story I had hoped for didn't pan out, there are still some very interesting questions raised by the boy's adventure. The one that interests me the most relates to the debate over whether we can overprotect our children. It was actually televised in a Wife Swap episode featuring the balloon boy's family of thrill-seeking scientists and a family focused on child safety.

I can see the merits of both sides of the debate, but I don't think it's always easy to find the balance between overprotection and risk taking. As cautious as I am, it's hard for me to let Luc fly without me even though I can see the joy he'd find in the air. And I'm determined not to let my own fears cage my child.

Helicopter parents would never let their children near a flying machine without supervision. it wouldn't be responsible. I can't argue with wanting to keep my children safe. But I also wonder what gets lost if our children never get the chance to take risks and fearlessly soar through the air?

Let the wild rumpus start!

No comments: