Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Repulsive Fly in Red Shoes

It's approaching midnight and I am being kept awake by visions of Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis dancing in my head. I can't remember the last time that I had such a visceral reaction to a movie. Perhaps it's because I spent just enough time worrying that I could never dance as well as the bunheads who had spent years in a studio. Maybe it's because I've thrilled to watch the scale dip below 100. Or it could stem from the years I spent writing about femmes fatales in graduate school. But, whatever the reason, I felt every torn cuticle, every bloody scratch, every thrust of the nail file, every kiss, every disappointment, and every thrill that Nina experienced. Repulsed, fascinated, and excited, I couldn't keep my eyes on or take my eyes off of Nina while she disintegrated on screen.

It should come as no surprise that I'd be entranced by ballet noir. I had been anticipating the movie for months. But what did surprise me about my reaction to the movie is what went through my mind during her final breakdown(or should I say triumph?) Like any normal audience member, my stomach dropped when she fell on her ass during the opening pas de deux and I was even more shocked when she attacked her doppelganger. However, when she dragged her bloody doppelganger into the bathroom and tapped into her inner black swan, my heart soared. I thought to myself, You go evil femme fatale and dance that fallen ass off. I thrilled to see her embody the black swan. I loved it when she pulled the ballet director into a steamy kiss. And as she fell to her death in the finale, I realized that at the moment I firmly believed that such a moment of sublimity is worth the price.

Why should such a cautious woman as myself think such a thing?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My favorite moment in the film was when she started to sprout feathers. Awesome! For me it was a daring expression of what it is like when the dancer becomes the dance or the actor becomes the text of the play.
Your response to the film is beautifully expressed. You make me want to see it again.