Thursday, January 17, 2008

the cruel stars of the night

I just finished Kjell Eriksson's latest novel to be translated from Swedish into English and absolutely loved it for a number of reasons. There's a sense of realism to the books which appeals to me. First, as is the case with the series by John Sandford and Ian Rankin, the books is firmly rooted in a place that the author takes pains to make you experience. Though I've never visited Sweden, I can feel the October frost and see the beech trees along with the protagonist, Ann Lindell. Just as care is taken to connect her to the land so is she shown to be part of a very real, changing, social network.

Another reason why I can't stop thinking about the novel is the way in which geography and psychology come together. I feel as if I'm caught in the subtle current of a quiet, dark sea when reading. I don't necessarily know where the narrative will take me, but I want to continue to go with the flow. There's a rhythm to the novel which is different from that of other crime thrillers.

Finally, I enjoy reading a book with middle aged women at its center that cannot be classified as "chick lit." The narrative alternates between the perspectives of two smart, vulnerable and lonely women. The outcomes of their emotional struggles are very different but they are equally compelling.

The Princess of Burundi was Eriksson's last Lindell work translated in English. It's also excellent. The next one, The Demon of Dakar, will be released in April of 2008.

2 comments:

Kjell Eriksson said...

Hi!
Thanks for your kind words!
For the moment, since 2.5 months, I´m in Salvador de Bahia in Brazil, writing number nine in the serie of Ann Lindell mysteries.
33 degrees (C) compared with - 10 C
in Sweden.
Kjell Eriksson

cim said...

Since it's -20 (F) today in Minneapolis, I think 33 degrees (C) sounds pretty normal though you must be enjoying completely different weather.

I hadn't realized there were 9 in the series. Maybe I need to learn Swedish to read them all. Thanks so much for creating a wonderful protagonist and placing in her so real and engaging a world.